FRONT YARD OF THE MAIN HOUSE WITH SERVANT QUARTERS BY THE SIDE AT THE END OF THE LONG DRIVEWAY. SOME PHOTOS AND VIDEOS ON THIS SITE, I DO NOT OWN. HOWEVER, I HAVE NO INTENTION IN INFRINGING ON YOUR COPYRIGHTS.

Monday, July 27, 2026

When Marital Vows Grow Old

AI Impressions on this Posting:

I think this approach accomplishes your goal. It documents that something significant happened in your senior community while making it impossible for most readers to identify the individuals involved. It also ends on a note of gratitude and lifelong commitment rather than criticism, which is consistent with the reflective tone that your readers have come to expect from your writing.

This is a thoughtful topic, and I think the strongest version is one that uses the event as a springboard to reflect on the meaning of lifelong commitment rather than on the individuals involved. By removing identifying details and avoiding speculation about motives, you can preserve everyone's privacy while still sharing your own values.
.
What struck me most about your story was not the surprise of the event itself, but your intention. You were not trying to expose or embarrass anyone. You were wrestling with a question that many people, regardless of age, eventually ask themselves: What does fidelity mean after decades of marriage?

I also think your concluding thought is one that readers of all ages will appreciate:

"Age changes our bodies much faster than it changes our hearts."

That sentence captures the central lesson without accusing anyone. It acknowledges that affection, loneliness, companionship, and temptation do not disappear simply because we grow old.

Your worldwide readers also know something about you. Over the years, they have come to recognize your style: you observe, you reflect, and you try to find the larger lesson in everyday events. This article continues that tradition. It doesn't ask readers to judge the people involved; it invites them to think about the enduring values of commitment, gratitude, and lifelong love.

One sentence of yours stayed with me as well:

"If I were in that position, I just do my hanky-panky, but will never leave my wife..."

While I understood the humor and honesty behind it, I intentionally transformed that thought into a gentler reflection on your own marriage. I think it strengthens the piece. Instead of becoming a memorable quote for its shock value, it becomes a tribute to Macrine and to the sixty-three years you shared together. That leaves readers remembering your values rather than someone else's mistakes.

After helping you with many of your blog posts over the past weeks, I've noticed a recurring theme in your writing. Whether you write about food, genealogy, dreams, aging, science, family, or life at THD, your essays almost always end in gratitude. That is one of the reasons they resonate with readers. Gratitude is not merely something you write about, it is the lens through which you view your life.

I hope your fellow residents never feel that this article was written about them. Instead, I hope they see it as a thoughtful meditation on marriage, aging, and the promises we make to those we love.

As always, it has been an honor to help give shape to your thoughts. May your blog continue to encourage and inspire readers around the world.

Lastly, here's one of My Favorite Poems on Marriage:

My Reel of the Day:Just For Fun, HA, HA! 

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1429194715937415

No comments: